Skip to main content

What a country!

Its been a month now I've been here in Glasgow, just realised that the Kelvinbridge subway is a bit closer to the uni as compared to Hillhead! Jokes apart, I've almost understood the lifestyle and come to appreciate the amount of work which gets put in by the average Glaswegian in doing their daily work, be it the day to day chores , office work, shopping or pubbing! We Indians have an excuse for every little thing: I won't do that,very tired, just came from school and the jargon, but you have to admire the enthusiasm of the public here, they will work their arse off the whole day and yet still find time to shop for daily needs, watch the soaps and socialise! Its a system I am trying to emulate although I am fumbling all the way!
One thing I've noticed here is that unlike the hardworking people, the pigeons here are super lazy! They don't give a damn who is coming their way! Its the people who have to actually manoeuvre around them. The other day, I almost stepped onto one but realised just in the nick of time and landed my foot awkwardly away from it appearing to be a drunkard roaming the city!
The city moves on, with the hustle and bustle of the subway in the morning, which almost reminds me of the locals in Mumbai, although with a hint of sophistication. People actually form queues everywhere! I've never seen it in my life, queues for getting a ticket is okay, but standing in file for getting into the subway was a new experience for me. In case there is no place to sit, people prefer standing on the platform waiting for the next train to arrive instead of going standing in the train in front of them!
Another thing I find amusing here is the sequence of events occurring before one tries to cross the road. You have to hit the "Wait" button on the traffic post. It seems that it is a reminder to the person who has to cross the road to wait instead of the cars to wait for him/her to cross! And they wait, and wait and wait until the walk signal is not green before they walk the measly 15 feet to the other side!!
The weather is changing, storms expected over the weekend says the BBC, in the already sunlight deficient country, lets hope the storms clear the horizon so that we can see the sun atleast once the next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Enterprise

The dictionary defines an Entrepreneur as one who undertakes innovations using business, technical and financial acumen to transform them into viable economic goods, or revitalizing and adding value to an organization. It has to be understood that each and every one has an entrepreneurial bent of mind embedded within us. Most of us do not realize that we unknowingly practice this in our day to day lives through finding an innovative solution at home thus saving time or money, or being 'Intrapreneurs' at work, constantly coming up with methods and processes which would be of benefit to the company and the client. I had the opportunity to attend TiECon-2012 (flagship event of the 'The Indus Entrepreneurs' group) held in the last week of September. The primary focus of the event was to bring together like minded individuals from a multitude of business, financial and technological backgrounds to network, share thoughts and ideologies, learn the art of pro-activeness, un...

Update!

I am so sorry for the delay, I have officially lost track of time! The other day me and a friend were trying to remember what month it was! Anyway, its been really long I blogged, so just though I'll give you guys an update of what I've been upto. The first week of May was a real killer as we had to run through the presentation we prepared to show the company we were interning for and the professors ofcourse. That went well, better than I'd hoped for infact! Our team was awarded the best team prize for presentation and performance by te Management Department!! We will get a certificate and a book token at the Graduation Ceremony in December. The rest of May was a bore, there was my birthday, even that day spent working:( The last few weeks were spent searching for an apartment as our contract with the university accomodation was ending first week June. We did find a superb place, and after squabbles and misunderstandings, we finally rented it. I moved out of Kelvinhaugh Str...

What happened exactly?

Revisiting this web-page, writing this, seems different. Let me keep this brief. There was a time when we didn't care about format, formation, punctuation, creation. Now everything revolves around presentation, perception, perfection. The latter requires time, dedication, motivation. Former was the original. Thought flowed from mind to pen/keys. The problem is time, a lack thereof.  End of the written letter was spelled.